Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Does my vote really matter?




Jacksonville, FL-- 


Have you ever heard the phrase "every vote counts?" I've talked to a lot of people who feel otherwise. Heck, at times I've felt the same way. Many times, especially within the last few years, it has felt like my vote has fallen to the wayside. But, with voter turnout quickly declining (especially in primary elections), that clichéd term is proving to be truer than ever.

Case in point: 


Yesterday's election results for State Representative is really too close to call. As of last night, a mere three votes separate the two candidates. That's right...three! Three, out of nearly 12,000 votes, separate the two Republicans eyeing the vacant House seat. 


The close result of the race between Jay Fant and Paul Renner  has triggered an automatic recount, so the actual victor won't be announced until later this afternoon (at the earliest). In all likelihood, the results will be reported Thursday.

If you ever feel like your vote doesn't matter, just think about this: if this count holds true then four measly votes could have changed the victor! Some people think that "voting is for suckers" but I think that this race proves that not voting is for suckers.


Not voting is for suckers!


*In my friends defense, I think she was trying to be funny




No comments:

Post a Comment